Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why do I do this to myself?

So I'm sitting here in the ob/gyn office, surrounded by pregnant women (okay, so I only see one obviously, but still) Why am I here? The New Girl in the Office is having some (suspected) complications, and I offered to come with her to the dr so she wouldn't have to go by herself... Because you should NEVER have to go by yourself for something like that. Our boss asked me if I would be okay, and ya know, I really am. Only a tiny part of me is wanting to bang my head against the wall. Why do I do this to myself? Because.I.Care. I'm pretty sure I got a dirty look from Favorite Coworker, but I'm also pretty sure I don't care. I've decided that I will be polite, I will communicate work-related things, and that's where I draw the line. I'm gonna stop there, though, because I also decided this morning that I'm not letting her get to me like that again today.
Hopefully, everything is okay with NewGirl. Maybe it's nothing. Why am I here? Because sometimes, you just have to put aside all of your "this is too painful for me," and give support to someone who needs it. And right now, there is a coworker in the exam room who needed a friend just in case something is wrong.

1 comment:

Justine L said...

This has been one crappy week. Not false hugs or false pity ... just acknowledgment that the Universe is sometimes especially cruel.

I hope she lets up on you soon.