Saturday, November 1, 2008

A whole, sad new level of "grown-up"

So, I went to Wally World yesterday afternoon, between work and meeting up at our aunt's house to trick-or-treat with 3 of the nephews. I am extremely sad to say, for the first time in my life, I bought toilet paper on HALLOWEEN NIGHT, dudes, and not the first PIECE went on anyone's yard... No, it will all be put to its intended use... I am officially OLD!!
For real, I am feeling it. It's not like one of those threshold birthdays is coming up... I will be 27 on Wednesday, that's not really one of those b-days where you're supposed to be flippin' out, is it? Because I am. And have been for a couple of weeks. I swear I can almost audibly hear a "tick, tick, tick..." in the background. Now, I know women have babies much older than 27, but once-upon-a-time-before-I-knew-better, my plans were to be married by 25, and done having at least 3 kids by 30, so we could raise our kids and enjoy retirement and grandkids before we were running people down with our scooters. Um. 3 by 30? So. Not. Happening. Well, I guess technically it COULD happen, and actually is more LIKELY to happen through adoption than otherwise.
But I'm trying to remember that God's thoughts are not my thoughts, His plans are not my plans, and He is in control. God was looking down on me when I made my 25-and30 plans, and shaking his head saying "This girl doesn't have a CLUE!" And He saw what my future was like, and I'm positive it is way better than "my" plan for how things "should have" went. Trying to hang on to that while I buy my toilet paper. Hmph... Come to think of it, I think this is also the first year of my life that I haven't rolled someone's yard at all, and don't really care if I skip it, because it would hurt my arm too much to throw... Sheesh, I tell ya, I'm OLD!!
And finally... Trick-or-treating is dangerous, kids. Both of my sisters take their boys to the same neighborhood we went to when we were little. My aunt lives there, and we have always met up at her house (cousins, too) and walked the neighborhood. We always came back with pillowcases FULL of candy. 3 kids (now) + 3 adults = nobody gets lost. For just a couple of hours, to the outside world, I looked like a Mama!!! Nobody asked me those annoying questions, nobody had a comment about how soon I would be pregnant, I didn't have to paste a smile on my face and give some vague answer. The dangerous part was the drive home, when I had zero candy to show for my efforts, the only thing in my backseat was a couple of boxes, my front seat held not a squirmy, happy, candy-filled child, but my new thing of toilet paper that wasn't purchased for trees. That, my friends, was sad.

No comments: