Thursday, September 20, 2007

Different stuff

So far, all of my blogs have been about infertility. It is, at times, an important part of my life, but honestly there are also lots of times when it doesn't really matter. I know that 10-20-30 and more years from now, it's not really going to play such a huge part that I never had biological children.. Or perhaps, that I did.... I know we will adopt, no matter what. I don't know if anybody even reads this stuff, but just in case, here's a little view of things that really do consume a lot of my time on a regular basis.....
*****Family.... Just the two of us in our home, but I have 2 sisters, hubby has one sister, and all three are married with a combination of 4 (soon to be 5) children, and one nephew who never made it into this worrld alive. Family has always been important to me and hubby both, so it's no surprise that we spend a lot of times with our families. We are the Fun Aunt and Fun Uncle. We get in the floor and play, we take them to the movies or meet them at the fair, we play games, we scuffle, we draw, we have trouble with birthday-Christmas-etc gift limits.... Basically we spoil all the little creatures! When my sister had her miscarriage, I spend the night with them several nights that first week. I neglected my house and just let it go, because with no children, you can do that, and my sister needed me. She will have some surgery in a week, and I'll do the same things again. When hubby's sister has her little boy next month, I will go play with my niece, rock my nephew, clean up, help however I can. All of us call each other on a ragular basis (almost daily), and we generally get together several times throughout the month. Sunday afternoons after church we alternate spending the afternoon with my family and his family.
********Church. We go Sunday morning and night and Wednesday night. Both of us were raised in church, and were not given the "option" of staying at home, and so for the most part, we have continued on. We both sing in the choir. We both teach classes. We tithe. We participate in other activities as well, like this Saturday night when the young couples are all going out to eat WITHOUT children. (This is huge!!! We are one of like 2 couples in our church who don't have children!!! Not that we mind having them around; actually, we enjoy the entertainment factor, and are really just big, older kids ourselves when it comes to having gun, but an evening of adult conversations with no "Mommy, I need to tee-tee," or "Don't hit your brother," or "Stop playing and eat"... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!)
********Free time!!! When we are not hanging out with the fam and playing with the kids, we go to the movies, play putt-putt, eat out.... When we were dating, we got on a kick of touring caverns, but we haven't done that in a while. Saturdays are usually our days to just do whatever. Find some yard sales... Do some housework (haha, not very often!!)... Sleep late... Just hang out together... Week nights are usually filled with cooking, cleaning, and some fun thrown in for good measure. I get on the internet, hubby watches a movie. Have we really only been married 4 and a half months?!?!
*******Work.... Hubby is a bank assistant manager. I am a pharmacy tech. He's not really that fond of his job... Mine's great! Or will be.... We are in sort of a transition phase right now, and I'm not really sure how many hours I will be working for the next year, while they are trying to get more business. Trying to hang in there for the one year, because after that, I will have the sweetest job ever.
*********Kids.... While I was working in a fast food restaurant through college and until we got married, I met a wonderful family. They had a set of twins that had been coming regularly to our family nights, then just sort of stopped. We later found out that one of the twins had fallen and hit her head, like kids are prone to do, and through that, they found out she had a brain tumor. There's a lot more to the story of how I came to care so much for this family, but I keep a regular check on her website to see how she is doing. Then an aquaintance's 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. I've been spending a decent amount of time in the last few weeks checking up on several local kids with cancer. I don't really know why , but I've always been interested (I hate to use that word though) in how other families make it through things like illness and loss. (My mom says I should've been a doctor or nurse, but the old chemistry and related subjects didn't really like me too much)
********Adoption.... It will probably be 2 or 3 years before we are really getting into the process (hubby says 1, but I don't think we'll be ready by then!), but I am the type of person who HAS to be prepared, HAS to have all the information available, and yesterday, please!!! I have volunteered with an organization that brings over orphans from Ukraine, and am now trying to learn more about Korean adoption. I have looked into several countries. I have also recently taken an interest in finding blogs of older adoptees. I love orphans, and they hold a special place in my heart.
Yeah..... Sorry for the incredibly long post!! I didn't really intend for it to be that long when I sat down, but generally once I start to write, it's hard to stop!!! I have toyed with the idea of writing a book (fiction or non), but have no idea where I would even start! A lofty goal, I know, but right now I have some time on my hands at work, and playing games on the computer gets old pretty quick... I try to find productive work-related things to do, but there's only so much busy work a person can find!! So anyway, there's some non-infertility-related stuff about me.

No comments: